Mar 28, 2023  
2020-2022 Graduate Catalog 
2020-2022 Graduate Catalog

Tuition, Fees and Program-Related Expenses

Updated tuition and fee schedule may be accessed at

“Coppin State University reserves the right to make changes in tuition, fees, and other charges at any time such changes are deemed necessary by the College and the University System of Maryland Board of Regents.”

Tuition and Fees

A sample guideline for the annual cost of attendance for a full-time, in-state, graduate student is as follows:

Tuition/Fees $ 2,876  
Books/Supplies $ 800  
Personal expenses $ 2,785  
Transportation $ 900  
Housing expense $ 6,498  
TOTAL EXPENSE* $13,859  
*These expenses may vary each academic year.

Total Expected Family Contribution (TEFC)

This amount is generated when the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is processed. This amount represents the amount the student is expected to contribute to their education as determined by the U.S. Department of Education.

Financial Aid Application Process for Graduate Students

It is the policy of the Financial Aid office that students are awarded on a first come - first served basis upon receipt of a completed application. A completed application requires that the following items have been received in the Financial Aid office:

  1. Electronic Student Aid Report (SAR) with a valid EFC
  2. Verification documents (if required)
  3. Any other documents requested on the SAR

All students must be officially admitted into a graduate program at Coppin State University in order to receive federal financial aid. Re-admission may be required for students returning following a period of non-enrollment.

Students must re-apply for Federal financial aid each year between January 1 and March 1 for priority processing for the upcoming academic year (example: apply between January 1, 2012 and March 1, 2012 for the 2012/2013 academic year). Applications received after March 1 are considered late.

Note: Students applying for Federal loans (Perkins and Direct Stafford loans) must complete additional forms. Some of these forms can be accessed via the Internet. Contact the Financial Aid office for more information about these forms.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Graduate Students

Graduate students must maintain a cGPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 and must maintain a completion rate of at least 67%.

Completion rate example: The student attempts 30 credits for the 2016/2017 academic year. At the end of the Spring 2017 semester he/she has only earned 18 credits. The student’s completion rate is 60% and his/her financial aid is now suspended.

Earned Credits = 18
  = 60%
Attempted credits = 30

Graduate students who are not making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) are no longer eligible for Federal financial aid; in some cases, however, this suspension may be appealed.

The total attempted credit hours cannot exceed 150% of program credit requirements (total number of credits varies by program for graduate students). Students who do not complete their program within this framework will incur permanent financial aid suspension, which CANNOT be appealed.

Appeal Process for Reinstatement of Financial Aid

Reinstatement of Financial Aid

If a student fails to make satisfactory academic progress due to extenuating circumstances, he/she has the right to appeal the suspension. Some examples of extenuating circumstances include illness and death in the family.

A student must submit a letter that explains why he/she has not successfully maintained satisfactory academic progress. Supporting documentation must be included. The financial aid appeals committee will review the letter and documentation and mail a decision to the student within ten (10) business days.

If the appeal is upheld by the committee, the student will receive Federal financial aid for the academic year (in which the appeal was granted) and be placed on financial aid probation. The student’s academic progress will be reviewed at the beginning of the next academic year.

If the appeal is not upheld by the financial aid appeals committee, the student may submit a written appeal to the Director of Enrollment Management Specialist, in the Enrollment Management office. The decision will be final.

Financial Aid for Transfer Students

Federal financial aid does not transfer from one institution to another. However, the amount received at another institution may affect the student’s eligibility for aid at Coppin State University. Any student in default on a Federal Perkins or Stafford loan and/or who owes a repayment on a Federal Pell Grant or FSEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant) is not eligible for Federal financial aid. Students planning to transfer to Coppin should add the University’s Federal school code (002068) to their Student Aid Report (SAR) so that Coppin will receive their information.

Financial Aid for International Students

Students must be either U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens to receive Federal financial aid. Some examples of eligible non-citizens include permanent residents and persons granted asylum status. Generally, students entering the country on temporary student visas are not eligible for Federal financial aid. Some banks offer private student loans to foreign students provided they have a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. For more information on these loans contact the Financial Aid office.

Institutional Grants

Diversity grants are offered to graduate students based on certain criteria.

NOTE: Students cannot receive this award based on race, ethnicity, gender or age.

These criteria include the following:

  • Student must be a Maryland resident
  • Student must meet one criterion from each group (A and B):
    • Group A
      1. Demonstrated financial need; and
      2. Student is not receiving tuition reimbursement from any other sources.
    • Group B
      1. Student possesses unique attributes, characteristics or abilities which would add diversity to the graduate population at Coppin State University;
      2. Student is majoring in an area experiencing a critical shortage of qualified professionals in Maryland; and
      3. Student possesses the ability to overcome personal obstacles in the pursuit of higher education.
  • Preference is given to first-time graduate students
  • Any remaining funds will be distributed to continuing, transfer and part-time students

Maryland State Grants

Graduate students who are residents of Maryland may be eligible for various grants offered by the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC). Most of these grants require the student to complete the FAFSA by March 1st and may require an additional application. Students can obtain more detailed information on these programs at or by calling (410)260-4500.

Federal Perkins Loan

The Federal Perkins loan is a long-term, low-interest loan available in amounts up to $1,500 for graduate students at Coppin State University. The maximum loan amounts are set by the institution based on Federal regulations and availability of funds. When the student begins repayment the minimum monthly payment is $40. Perkins loans are subject to an interest rate of 5%. Repayment on the loan is deferred until nine (9) months after the student graduates or falls below half-time enrollment (4 credits or less). Priority is given to students with exceptional financial need. Promissory notes must be completed in the Financial Aid Office before funds can be disbursed.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan

Federal Direct loans can be subsidized or unsubsidized.

  1. Federal Direct Subsidized Loan (Need Based)
    Federal government pays the interest on these loans while the student is attending school at least half-time, during grace periods and during deferments. Students must demonstrate financial need to receive this type of loan. The amount that students are able to borrow varies based on the student’s cost of attendance, EFC and other financial aid received.
  2. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan (Non-need Based)
    Federal government does not pay interest on these loans while the student is attending school, during grace periods or during deferments. Payment on interest begins thirty (30) days after receipt of the loan. The student may pay the interest while in school or choose to capitalize (interest is added to the principle amount of the loan and additional interest will be based upon the higher amount.) Students do not have to show financial need to receive this loan. The amount that students are able to borrow varies based on the student’s cost of attendance, EFC and other financial aid received.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

Graduate students with demonstrated financial need are eligible for a Federal work-study award. Award amounts are up to $2,400, depending on the student’s cost of attendance, EFC and other financial aid received. These funds must be earned by working on-campus or at designated sites off-campus. Earnings are paid directly to the student on a bi-weekly basis. Students receiving this award are required to complete additional paperwork with the Career Development office. They will also receive their work assignment from that office.

Book Vouchers

In some cases graduate students whose total financial aid exceeds their institutional charges AND who have not been ordered a refund check may receive book vouchers. Book vouchers allow students to purchase their books/supplies in the on-campus bookstore if their financial aid application is complete and their financial aid award has not been fully processed by the beginning of classes. Book voucher amounts vary and are charged to the student’s account. A student’s eligibility for book vouchers is determined by the Financial Aid office; however, the program is managed by the Office of Auxiliary Services. Book vouchers are given to assist students in obtaining their books at the beginning of the semester. The deadline for receiving book vouchers varies.

School of Graduate Studies

Available Financial Support for Graduate Students

There are limited private donor scholarships available for qualified students. Information may be obtained by calling the Office of Institutional Advancement (410)951-3800, and by visiting the web site for the School of Graduate Studies at Listed below are several program-specific sources of funding. Please contact the department for more information on eligibility.

Program Financial Source Comments
Family Nurse Practitioner
  • Maryland Health and Education Commission Increasing Nursing Faculty Through Shared Resources
  • $560,000 for student tuition, stipends and laptops (that remain the property of the Helene Fuld School of Nursing). In collaboration with Maryland General,
  • CDC Training Grant (in collaboration with Kennedy Krieger)
  • Provides paid internships for graduate students to work in the fields of mental health and substance abuse (summer
  • Department of Health and Human Services Resources Services Administration (HRSA) Scholarship for Disadvantaged Students
  • Need based on federal guidelines
  • Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources Services Advanced Education Nursing
  • Students who are not eligible for SDS funding
  • Qualifications: FT/good academic standing/within one year of graduation
Rehabilitation Counseling
  • Graduate Program for Advancing Undergraduate Students and Graduates from Diverse and Disability Groups (GPA-US/G)
  • Funded by USDE Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA)
  • Qualifications: FT/degree seeking/maintain 3.0 cGPA/agree to RSA Payback agreement
Other: Office of Institutional Advancement
  • Dr. Peter Valletutti Endowment
  • Graduate student in Special Education
  • Other private donor assistantships
  • Awards given are based on the availability of funds in the endowment portfolio

Note: The above information is subject to change passed on availability of funds and agency requirements.